Sunday, June 1, 2014

Grid Painting

In my last post, I introduced some new paintings using a new-to-me technique: grids.  I came to using grids for two reasons.  One, I want (and have wanted for some time) the focus of my painting to be about the process and two, I want the viewer to be able to see, at least somewhat, that process.

The idea for my process is to have a clear set of ideas, or rules, at the start and to follow and see where that leads me with the painting.  I actually started this idea, still using a grid (though as I was playing around I didn't strictly follow the grid yet), with dots:

In Progress
To start, I couldn't think of anything more process-oriented than dots.  My hope, too, was that the viewer standing back would not necessarily see the dots.  Then coming closer, they would come into view.  I like the idea of the optical trickery.  However, I had not yet finished a painting using the dots and with a show, Pulse, quickly approaching I decided to go to what I planned to try eventually, which was brushstrokes in the grid instead.


First, I photocopied a vintage photograph making it larger and easier to work from.  I ended up doing a color copy as it made these lovely greenish-blue colors rather than the sepia tones in the original photograph.  Then, once I knew what sort of grid I would use on the panel I drew it out on the copied photograph and then on the panel.  I selected particular paints to use and began one square at a time never painting squares next to each other in single painting sessions.

Each time I started a new group the paints used were mixed slightly differently so that each square was like its own little painting:


And here is, as you saw in the previous post, the final painting:



The first of these paintings, I had to start with it turned upside down to stop myself from moving from one square to the next automatically.  Over time, I was used to it and could paint with it upright.

I still need to finish the dot painting, but I have many more ideas for these grid paintings including trying it with landscape, still life, different ways to try out the portraits, ...  Just need more time...

5 comments:

Carole Reid said...

Oh Elizabeth, these are intriguing works ahead! I'm a bit afraid of grids but I the effect is so pleasing to me. Have fun. I hope you get more time.

Carole Reid said...

Oh yes, how was opening night?

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Carole! Opening night was a lot of fun. Busy with lots to see and do, including dressing up for polaroids in a "photo booth".

vivienne strauss said...

This is outstanding! I love how this has evolved and greatly admire your patience!

ricardokeith said...

Wow Elizabeth! This was an amazing art work! You have done great efforts on this grid painting and it seems to be very difficult! Great work! I also want to make some unique Aboriginal Art painting for my wife and want to learn some basic painting tips. Hope you will help me!