Sunday, March 3, 2013

There and Back again, Page 177 to 186

Hello there, happy weekend.  Sorry for the absence, I was a bit under the weather and then was very busy.

So close now, so close to finishing the Hobbit illustrations (finished page 243 and have 60 more to go).  Dare I say... I hope to finish the illustrations in the next 2 weeks?  Much more to do updating them here, but I will get there in time.    Wishful thinking I suspect, finishing the making that is, but for sure I am getting very close to the end.  Already have my next project in mind, so that will keep me motivated.

On we go.  From: There and Back again, An Illustration Project of The Hobbit

Page 177
Page 177: "Very soon the chief guard nodded his head, then he laid it on the table and fell fast asleep."

Ink and acrylic gouache on 6 x 8 inch paper.


Page 178
Page 178: "Bilbo's heart thumped every time one of them bumped into another or grunted or whispered in the dark."

Ink and acrylic gouache on 6 x 8 inch paper.


Page 179
Page 179: "They passed a door through which the chief guard and the butler could be seen still happily snoring with smiles upon their faces."

Acrylic gouache, ink, and pencil on 6 x 8 inch paper.


Page 180
Page 180: "Thorin had given a lot of trouble, and turned and twisted in his tub and grumbled like a large dog in a small kennel..."

Acrylic gouache and ink on 6 x 8 inch paper.


Page 181
 Page 181: "So they sang as first one barrel and then another rumbled to the dark opening and was pushed over into the cold water some feet below."

Acrylic gouache and ink on 6 x 8 inch paper.


Page 182
 Page 182:       "Where the forest wide and dim
                          Stoops in shadow grey and grim!"

Ink on 6 x 8 inch paper.


Page 183
Page 183: "...but for all his efforts he could not scramble on top.  Every time he tried, the barrel rolled round and ducked him under again."

Acrylic gouache and ink on 6 x 8 inch paper.


Page 184
Page 184: Inspired by the thought of bobbing barrels in the water.

Ink on 6 x 8 inch paper.


Page 185
 Page 185: "All the same it was like trying to ride, without bridle or stirrups, a round-bellied pony that was always thinking of rolling on the grass."

Ink on 6 x 8 inch paper.


Page 186
 Page 186: "There was a mighty pushing of poles."

Acrylic gouache on 6 x 8 inch paper.


2 comments:

Carole said...

Page 185 intrigues me. The shapes and the words.

Elizabeth said...

Hi Carole, I wish I could say what brought me to that illustration for page 185. I enjoyed the words too and I think those shapes just came organically from them. There was very little planning involved, of that I am sure. :)