Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My Daughter the Artist

I love watching my 6 year old daughter make art.  While driving home one day last week, I told her about an upcoming show at our local Salem Art Association for school children and of course she wanted to submit a piece.  I said she should think about, over the next couple of days, what she would like to make and she replied she already knew.  Boom, just like that.  My how I envy her decisiveness.  She told me it would be an abstract painting with lines and circles about storms, rain, and wind.  So after we returned I gave her one of my nice papers and she got right to work:

The beginning.

Apparently you need a crown when you work.  No one ever told me that.

Careful use of color.
A lot of water spritzing so the paper had to dry for a bit.

Detail in progress.

And now for the finished piece:

"Lightening and Rain Slashing Through the Sky"
Acrylic on paper.
Artist statement:  "The yellow is the sunlight, the blue is the rain, and the thing through the painting is the thunder.  I like abstract paintings and it is also because I like to squirt water on it so it makes the designs."

The children's show runs March 8th through April 27th at Salem Art Association in Salem, Oregon.


3 comments:

vivienne strauss said...

Beautiful work, Alex!

Carole said...

I'm going to get me a crown and a spray bottle!
Love your painting, Alex. Thanks for sharing Elizabeth.

Elizabeth said...

Thank you Vivienne! Thank you Carole! I have the spray bottle, but I will have to work on the crown myself.