Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Upcoming Show: Face the Public

Hello all, I'm in a new show this month.  For the third year, I''m honored to have been invited to participate in Face the Public at Mary Lou Zeek Gallery.  It is a group show and a group painting in which each artist paints a square from a well-known painting selected by the gallery.  This year the painting is Van Gogh's "Bedroom in Arles":



My section will be the top right and will include some of those paintings on the wall.  Unlike the painting above, which is from 1888, we are actually painting the 1889 version he made and I've been trying to research which Van Gogh paintings he depicted in that section.  Unfortunately, I have only been able to find out about the version he painted of this in 1888 and the people are decidedly different.  If you know, I'd love to find out!

The reception for the show is tomorrow night: Wednesday, October 2nd, from 5 to 7pm.  I will be painting my section on Tuesday, October 9th, from about noon until I finish.  You can find out more about the show and see when the other artists will be painting here.

Each of the artists in the show will also display a piece of their own and here is the painting I submitted:


Still Life with Rudy's Feathers, acrylic on 12 x 16 inch wood panel.

Detail.

Rudy is the name of my bird, though those are not all his feathers (I think there is a hawk and a crow feather in there).  Just the pink ones though in real life they are red.  I was going to title the piece Still Life with Alex's Feathers because they are my daughter's collection but then I didn't want anyone to think the photograph in the painting is her.  Now they will just think the girl's name is Rudy I suppose.  I have painted that little girl three times now, though I'm sure she looks different every time.  I have found 2 different photographs of her (at my local antique shop I think).  The one above and then the one I based this painting on:


8 comments:

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

Lots of luck on the upcoming show :) My friend Anna M is in it too! I can't wait to see all the paintings together.

Elizabeth said...

I love Anna's work! I think she was down there painting her section today and I wish I could have gone down there to see her in action.

annamaria said...

Congrats Elizabeth- your work is beautiful.

Bonnie Hull said...

so sorry I missed watching you paint...will look forward to checking out the upper right corner!

Dyl Pickle said...

I think Van Gogh did 3 painted versions - do you know which one in 1889? You can see all three here and good luck!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedroom_in_Arles
Sounds like a fabulous project.
Michelle:)

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Annamaria!

Hello Bonnie, hope to see you soon!

Michelle - I believe the version of the van Gogh we did for this project is the one he did in late September 1889, if I remember correctly.

Dyl Pickle said...

This website seems to answer your questions, though there is some mystery about some of the paintings depicted. There were 2 1889 versions and if you scroll down to the very bottom of the web page it will tell you more. Hope this helps:)

http://www.vggallery.com/painting/p_0482.htm

Elizabeth said...

Thank you so much for looking! I found that website too and you are right, there is still mystery about the paintings in the version we are doing. Only one that appears to be a self-portrait is tentatively identified. I also researched at the library and came up with nothing. So, I ended up going with something else for those paintings and I hope to share that in a few days.