Monday, April 23, 2012

There and Back again, Pages 42 to 46

A little behind on my Hobbit illustration posts especially as I've started producing around 15 a week (my new goal is to have the project finished sometime in August).  It can be a little time consuming, but not necessarily making each illustration (probably because that is the fun part).  My time is also spent: finding the quote or inspiration from each page, preparing the paper, writing information on the back of each illustration including the quote, scanning each piece, writing up all the information on the blog post, adding them to Flickr (just caught that up, was WAY behind) and my website (totally behind there, don't look), spraying each piece with an archival spray, and adding them to the folder.  Fall behind on only one of these and you can imagine how it can quickly pile up.... so I best get to it.

Part of this project seems to be finding the right work balance to suit my personality and it seems making 3 a day on weekdays works well and now I just need to find the right balance for getting them onto here.  Hopefully I'll find that balance before the project is complete.

For now, onto the new illustrations (and then I'll only be 10 behind! well, until I do today's...and tomorrow's...):

From: There and Back again, An Illustration Project of The Hobbit

Page 42

Page 42: "'...Don't you realize that the trolls must have a cave or a hole somewhere near to hide from the sun in?...'"

Watercolor on 6 x 8 inch paper.

Page 43

Page 43: "...and carried away the pots of gold, and buried them very secretly not far from the track by the river, putting a great many spells over them..."

Watercolor and ink on 6 x 8 inch paper.

Page 44

Page 44: "'Looking behind I saw a fire in the distance and made for it.'"

Watercolor and ink on 6 x 8 inch paper.


Page 45: "'Is that The Mountain?' asked Bilbo in a solemn voice, looking at it with round eyes.  He had never seen a thing that looked so big before."

Watercolor on 6 x 8 inch paper.


Page 46: "'O!' said Bilbo, and just at that moment he felt more tired than he ever remembered feeling before."

Watercolor on 6 x 8 inch paper.

I'm off to do my three illustrations.  Have a great day!

3 comments:

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

Very nice! I like their looseness, and your colors. What an undertaking!

Carole said...

You are amazing! The amount of work that goes into a project of this sort is staggering. Thanks for posting your works. I'm really enjoying them!

Elizabeth said...

Thank you both! I don't think I realized just how much work would be involved in this before I started... I just thought about making the illustrations, not all that other stuff. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end, but might make me think twice about doing something of this magnitude again.