Monday, April 2, 2012

There and Back again, Pages 35 to 41

Hello all.  I've fallen a little behind on my posts here (as well as my illustrations...but I'll catch back up soon).  I have been busy and distracted preparing some paintings and project proposals for upcoming shows.  But now that is done and I'm ready to get caught back up here.  I hope to share some non-Hobbit things here soon.


From -  There and Back again, An Illustration Project of The Hobbit

Page 35
 Page 35 - "'Mutton yesterday, mutton today, and blimey, if it doesn't look like mutton again tomorrow,' said one of the trolls."

Watercolor and ink on paper.
Page 36
 Page 36 - "Others more practical but with less professional pride would perhaps have stuck a dagger into each of them before they observed it.  Then the night could have been spent cheerily."

Watercolor and ink on paper.

Page 37
 Page 37 - "'What I say," said Bilbo gasping. 'And please don't cook me kind sirs!  I am a good cook myself and I cook better than I cook, if you see what I mean.  I'll cook beautifully for you, a perfectly beautiful breakfast for you, if only you won't have me for supper.'"

Watercolor, ink, and colored pencil on paper.

Page 38
 Page 38 - "That would have been the time for Bilbo to have left.  But his poor little feet had been very squashed in Bert's big paw, and he had no breath in his body, and his head was going round; so there he lay for awhile panting, just outside the circle of firelight."

Watercolor, ink, and colored pencil on paper.

Page 39
 Page 39 - "He came expecting mischief, and didn't need to see his friends' legs sticking out to tell him things were not at all well."

Watercolor, ink, and colored pencil on paper.

Page 40
 Page 40 - "And so the argument began all over again, and went on hotter than ever, until at last they decided to sit on the sacks one by one and squash them."

Watercolor and colored pencil on paper.

Page 41
Page 41 - "The next thing was to untie the sacks and let out the dwarves."

Watercolor and ink on paper.

2 comments:

Carole said...

Elizabeth, I think the Hobbits bring out you wickedly funny side! When we lived in NZ for two years I felt like the trolls did....mutton every day!

Elizabeth said...

:) As soon as I read that line, the image popped right in my head. That is really funny that living in NZ gave you that feeling since that is where they are filming The Hobbit. Wonder if they feel that way right now?