Sunday, March 11, 2012

There and Back again, Pages 28 to 34

I accidentally posted this before it was ready, so my apologies as some of you will get this twice (minus the information about each illustration).  I hate it when that happens!

So, I believe I originally mentioned that I was behind in posting these but I'm also behind in making them.  I've been preoccupied with other projects but I swear I'll bet back on track.

Onto the illustrations:

From -  There and Back again, An Illustration Project of The Hobbit

Page 28

Page 28 - "'Don't be a fool, Bilbo Baggins!' he said to himself, 'thinking of dragons and all that outlandish nonsense at your age!'  So he put on an apron, lit the fires, boiled water, and washed up."

Watercolor, pencil, ink, colored pencil on paper.


Page 29

Page 29 - "'Great Elephants!' said Gandalf, 'you are not at all yourself this morning - you have never dusted the mantlepiece!'"

Watercolor, ink, colored pencil on paper.

Page 30

Page 30 - "Very puffed up he was, when he got to Bywater just on the stroke of eleven and found he had come without a pocket-handkerchief."

This quote is referring to Bilbo.

Watercolor and ink on paper.

Page 31

 Page 31 - "Not far ahead were old castles with an evil look, as if they had been built by wicked people.  Everything seemed gloomy, for the weather that day had taken a nasty turn."

Watercolor and ink on paper.

Page 32
 Page 32 - "They decided in the end that they would have to camp where they were.  So far they had not camped before on this journey, and though they knew that they would have to camp regularly, when they were among the Misty Mountains and far from the lands of respectable people, it seemed a bad wet evening to begin on."


Watercolor and ink on paper.
Page 33

Page 33 - "There they all sat glum and wet and muttering..."

Watercolor and ink on paper.


Page 34 - "Suddenly the red light shone out very bright through the tree-trunks not far ahead."

Watercolor and ink on paper.

1 comment:

Carole said...

Great Elephants, Elizabeth, you are not at all your timely self! I am sooooo loving your drawings!