Thursday, March 1, 2012

There and Back again, Pages 21 to 27


More play with watercolor and ink, but this week I tried something different.  Normally, I would plan out each illustration beforehand.  This time, I picked the quote and let the work come naturally.


Page 21

Page 21 - "'Swords in these parts are mostly blunt, and axes are used for trees, and shields as cradles or dish-covers...'"

Quote from Gandalf explaining why it is difficult to find a hero for their journey and instead he found a burglar (Bilbo Baggins).

Watercolor, ink, and collage on paper.

Page 22

Page 22 - "'Also I should like to know about risks, out-of-pocket expenses, time required and renumeration, and so forth' - by which he meant: 'What am I going to get out of it? and am I going to come back alive?'"

This quote is of Bilbo talking to the group of dwarves about their journey.

Watercolor and ink on paper.


Page 23

Page 23 - "'...well, from a good way off we saw the dragon settle on our mountain in a spout of flame.'"

Watercolor, colored pencil, pencil, and ink on paper.


Page 24

Page 24 - "'The few of us that were well outside sat and wept in hiding, and cursed Smaug...'"

Said Thorin the dwarf of the destruction of the dragon Smaug.

Watercolor and ink on paper.

Page 25

Page 25 - "'Well, your father gave me this to give to you; and if I have chosen my own time and way of handing it over, you can hardly blame me, considering the trouble I had to find you.  Your father could not remember his own name when he gave me the paper, and he never told me yours; so on the whole I think I ought to be praised and thanked...'"

This was Gandalf talking to Thorin about a map he was given by Thorin's father.

Watercolor, ink, and pencil on paper.


Page 26

Page 26 - "'Hear, hear!' said Bilbo, and accidentally said it aloud."

Watercolor and ink on paper.


Page 27

Page 27 - "     Far over the misty mountains cold
                       To dungeons deep and caverns old
                       We must away, ere break of day,
                       To  find our long-forgotten gold.

Bilbo went to sleep with that in his ears, and it gave him very uncomfortable dreams.  It was long after the break of day, when he woke up."

Watercolor and ink on paper.

No comments: