Saturday, February 18, 2012

There and Back again, Pages 17 to 20

I admit it, I'm a little burnt out on daily (well, near daily) posts about my Hobbit Project.  I thought it would be good to post about each illustration separately but I just can't seem to do it.  So, I'm going to instead group them together into somewhat weekly posts (there will be other posts too, just grouping together the illustrations).  I also like that this should give the illustrations some fluidity and context, seeing them next to each other.

Before I get started, a short update.  It has been a busy week around here.  I started work on a fun commission and the timing on this was perfect as I ran out of paper (for the illustrations and some upcoming projects) and have been waiting impatiently for more to arrive (I'm watching its progress across the country, I wish they gave more regular updates!).  Which means I'm a little behind on illustrations, but with these now weekly posts I'm hoping you won't notice (assuming I catch up of course).  When the commission is complete, I am planning some larger work on paper as well as maybe a sculpture or two, but we'll see how that goes.  I picked up a few supplies for the studio, nothing really photograph-worthy (new extension cords, a piece of clear plastic to protect my desk so I can stop using wax paper, clamps for my easel) and also some fun little vintage items which I will take a photo of for another post.  They are rather primitive looking and I hope to include them in the aforementioned sculptures (I'm thinking a combination of found and made items but again, we'll see how that goes).

On to the illustrations:

From -  There and Back again, An Illustration Project of The Hobbit



Page 17 - "Gandalf struck a blue light on the end of his magic staff..."   

Watercolor and ink on paper. 







Page 18 - "And I assure you there is a mark on this door - the usual one in the trade, or used to be.  Burglar wants a good job, plenty of Excitement and reasonable Reward, that's how it is usually read."   

This quote is referring to the mark Gandalf put on Bilbo's door directing the dwarves where to go.  Of course, Bilbo didn't know it was there and Gandalf removed it when he arrived.



Watercolor, pencil, and ink on paper. 






Page 19 - "On the table in the light of a big lamp with a red shade..."   

Watercolor and ink on paper. 




Page 20 - "...and handed to Thorin a key with a long barrel and intricate wards, made of silver.  
                'Keep it safe.'  
                'Indeed I will,' said Thorin, and he fastened it upon a fine chain."   

Watercolor, ink, and collage on paper. 



Have a good weekend!

3 comments:

Carole said...

Burn out is always a fear of mine when I start a series of paintings or prints or drawings or even blogging posts. I can also just get bored with it all. These Hobbit Project posts are wonderful. I'm enjoying them.

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

You are doing a stellar job on these illustrations, all so different and giving such a mood of the story

Elizabeth said...

Thank you Carole and thank you Julie!