Thursday, February 2, 2012

There and Back again, Page 9

Page 9
From -  There and Back again, An Illustration Project of The Hobbit

Page 9 - "A big jug of coffee had just been set in the hearth..."   

Colored pencil, pencil, and acrylic gouache on paper.


It was a great opening night at the Mary Lou Zeek Gallery for the 100 Artists Show.  I didn't bring my camera because I've been to these before and I knew it would be utter chaos and I'd be unable to photograph anything except the people, which is fine too of course.  But I plan to go back next week and gets some shots of the show to share with you.  In the meantime, you can visit the gallery blog and see the photos of all those people here.


I have hit a wall with my Hobbit illustrations.  Yes, it has happened already.  I knew it would, though I had hoped to be further along than page 10 when it did.  By wall I mean I'm not totally satisfied with the last few I've illustrated (nothing you've seen yet, these are past page 9).  So I'm rethinking my approach, I have some new materials I've always wanted to try out, and am reworking/making those last few illustrations.  It might mean I won't have one to share with you tomorrow, we'll see how it goes this afternoon.  So frustrating too because I was ahead on this and now am not, but that's ok.  I'll get back on track.  And I'm sure this will not be the first wall but only one of many to come.  

2 comments:

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

A very ambitious project, but i do like this one.
The gallery is wonderful. Everyone looks so animated and I love thier hats and scarves!

Elizabeth said...

Thank you Julie. I might have bitten too much off with this, but I'm facing the challenge and I think I will learn a lot from it. Hope so anyway!