Sunday, August 14, 2011

Finally finished

"Into the woods" Acrylic on 8 x 10 inch panel


Finally, the painting I've been posting about is complete.  So many ideas percolating on this one (and more to come on future paintings) I just had the hardest time finishing it.  Returning to some ideas I've had before about layers of meaning, layers in general, touches of the surreal, and a simpler approach to the figure.  A little detail:


With that complete, I'm excited to get to work on the next one, though I hope it will go a little faster this time now that I have a better idea of where I am headed.

A little more about this painting, the inspiration for it came from here.  In the 1800's, Elizabeth Parker stitched a sampler but rather than full of flowers and letters showing her embroidery expertise, she writes in delicate letters of her traumas and attempted suicide.  That needed a painting.

8 comments:

vivienne strauss said...

Gorgeous painting of such a painful past, I can see why you felt compelled to paint this!

Elizabeth Bauman said...

Thanks Vivienne. What a struggle it must have been for her but I guess she persevered. Perhaps the embroidery helped.

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

Wonderful and meaningful.
julie

Elizabeth Bauman said...

Thank you Julie. Definitely enjoying working on these.

Laura said...

wow, wow, wow. what a truly powerful painting. words fail! just amazing. thank you for painting it.

Elizabeth Bauman said...

Laura, thank you so very much! Can't tell you how much I appreciate that. :)

Lorraine Young Pottery said...

I like the way she is holding the sampler to her heart area and the red thread. I think you have captured the surreal here.
I just joined your site as a follower!

Elizabeth Bauman said...

Lorraine, Thank you! So glad you got the impression of the surreal. I'm trying to include more and more of that in my paintings these days.