Saturday, June 25, 2011

The idea grows...and grows...


It is funny how certain events and inspirations have to line up, to occur, before I suddenly realize what I am working towards.  I've had snippets, bits of ideas.  I knew I was working on a body of work with a particular theme in mind but it wasn't until a couple of mornings ago that I understood the full scope of what I should do and perhaps how I should work on future projects.  It was one of those moments where I wish I had the dramatic music and lighting of a movie.

I won't go into all the specifics now, but, in short, the Lord and Schryver painting series has just grown in concept.  There will be more than paintings.  I have ideas for all sorts of media.  And while this started with only the beautiful gardens this pair designed it is now branching into them, the women, as well (of course the figure worked its way back in).  You can see above a little sculpture developing.  Some work left to do on that one before it dries.  In the photograph, that is Elizabeth Lord (left) and Edith Schryver (right).  This photo of them is iconic around these parts, or at least it seems that way to me.  Aren't they lovely?

To help me get an idea of all the elements, I started working on this very preliminary plan:


I expect all that empty space to soon be filled in with ideas.  Have a good weekend everyone!

No comments: