Monday, June 27, 2011

Books and sketches


I decided I wanted something to document my progress with my Lord and Schryver Project.  Something casual to sketch and make notes in but also keeping in mind I would share it with the project as its own artwork, so to speak.  Despite never having done it before, and because I'm super picky about having just the right sketchbook or journal for whatever I'm working on, I decided to make one.  So after watching a brief video on YouTube, I went to the art supply store and bought what I needed.  After spending a couple hours ripping up paper (exhausting) and probably another couple of hours assembling, I had not one but four sketchbooks to use.  I used the extra paper to make little books to go with the larger one.  I think they turned out pretty well for my first time:


I sewed the pages with a linen thread.  Inside the large one:


The large one is the main journal to document the project.  Here is a watercolor sketch inside (it is a sketch of one of the completed paintings so you are getting a sneak peak of it, one of these days I'll share the original):


Speaking of sketches, I've been trying to get back in the habit of them.  Here is one I did for a new, larger, little portrait I started today:


I was quite pleased with how it turned out.  Here it is with the inspired photograph:



Aren't they a great couple?  I didn't get very far on the painting today, unfortunately, as I'm a bit under the weather.  Caught a cold from my daughter who keeps reminding me I need to add the curtain, window, and couch to the drawing.  I'm keeping that in mind.  I hope you are all well!

No comments: